CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 15, 2010

My little artist.....


Conner is in a stage where he is constantly coloring on his chalkboard. This I like....there are only so many trains I can push around or so many balls I can throw but coloring and drawing I can do for hours with him :) The best part is that he tells a story through his little drawings on his chalk board. He will draw a house and say well they need a garage to park a car and then he will say that the kids and mom need a car to go shopping in and will draw the car then he will draw a little stick family and a stop sign so the car stops and does not crash into other cars then a street and grass and and the sun and trees and continues to make up a little story as he goes along. I LOVE It.....it's so fun to watch and listen to him do this. Most of it is really hard to see and eventually just becomes a chalkboard of scribbles but it's pretty awesome. As I'm typing this he is writing his ABC's he's getting so good at them. I'm wondering if we should start working on the lower case soon. He still has a really hard time on paper though.....he just does not know how to hold a pen or crayon correctly and it makes it impossible for him to write....any suggestions?????

I always watched my sisters girls color and draw and write and make up stories and thought to myself....wow can't wait for that stage....well here it is :)

Looking forward to today....Neal is home till Tuesday :) yay for us though Sunday he will be in Chicago for a Bears game with his brother!!! No plans whatsoever today so that's nice we plan on relaxing and enjoying the day and maybe I can convince Neal to go to Ebert's for a little fall fun. Next weekend is our first set of trick-or-treating and a pumpkin illumination. can't wait Conner will be so excited to go!!!I tried putting Ethan's costume on him but he was not at all thrilled I hope once he sees other kids and Conner wearing theirs and of course the candy he will be more excited!! Waiting for Neal to wake up now so we can have some breakfast but I'm off to start my day right with some coffee. Have a good day everyone!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is quite the little artist! Have a good weekend.
Janice

ShareandRemember said...

Cute drawing! Keep him drawing on the chalkboard. Writing vertically forces him to hold the chalk and hand a certain way and it's developing his hand muscles for fine motor skills. You could also tape paper up on the chalkboard and have him write or paint on that. Anything vertical helps. Even using a gluestick to glue paper scraps on the paper. Also have him use a large crayon or a short marker, like the Pip Squeaks. The shorter the implement, the more it forces him to hold it correctly. Has he started using scissors? Cut strips of paper and have him use scissors to cut them in half like little tickets. Loop scissors are good to start with because they open up on their own and it's not so frustrating. http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=26648&keyword=loop%20scissors&scategoryid=0&CategorySearch=&Brand=&Price=
It will start building those little hand muscles. I would be more concerned about those little activities now and then he will be able to write the letters after the fine motor development comes.

Bernadetta said...

Thank you Stacy that is very helpful!!! He does use scissors but not too good at using them yet...I will have him try these activities!!!

ShareandRemember said...

You're welcome. :) I learned a lot working with an occupational therapist for one of my little day care kids. If cutting across strips of paper becomes easy, try cardstock or a thin cardboard (cereal box). I should have said too, that sidewalk chalk or anything bigger around/shorter is better than a pencil or thin marker. You might also want to try using tongs or kids tweezers to pick up cotton balls or pom poms. Or water droppers - lots of ideas online for these types of activities under Montessori - I love this blog: http://mymontessorijourney.typepad.com/my_montessori_journey/ Fun stuff!!

Cheri said...

What Stacy said! I took a class recently, taught by an OT. Loved it! A good way to teach how to hold a pencil...lay it down with the point facing you, pinch with thumb and forefinger, then use your other hand to flip it into position. pinch and flip, easy as pie!